Fast-talking auctioneers Dan and Laura Dotson conduct 1,500 auctions a year together, many of which are seen on Storage Wars. The couple runs the company American Auctioneers, which provides emcees for a variety of auctions. Here the power couple provides advice for budding entrepreneurs.
- The #1 rule to being a successful entrepreneur is to have a large network of professionals that are in the field you are pursuing. Connect with people through networking events and other places. These people will be a valuable resource, and may be able to offer you help and advice.
- Educate yourself on whatever field you choose. Learn everything you possibly can about it – read books and articles, talk to experts, and do whatever else you can to get information on your subject.
- Keep an open mind for parallel business opportunities – it's necessary for your success.
- Believe in yourself and never give up. Have confidence that you will succeed.
- Always look out for yourself in regards to how and who will pay you as you are structuring your new enterprise.
- Don't be afraid for people around you to also make money in your ventures.
- Set short-term and long-term goals and do your best at reaching (or exceeding!) them.
- Remember that we're all sales people. If we're not selling a product, we are selling ourselves and our dreams.